Yarmouth cruises past Freeport, 5-1

Oct. 27—Third-seeded Yarmouth got goals from five players and defeated sixth-seeded Freeport, 5-1, in a Class B South boys’ soccer quarterfinal Wednesday.

The Clippers (11-2-2) will host seventh-seeded Fryeburg Academy in Saturday’s semifinals.

Justin Dawes put Yarmouth ahead early in the match and Truman Peters made it 2-0 before Garrett Richeson scored to pull the Falcons (7-5-4) within one at halftime.

Zach Kelly, Jonny Fulton and Owen Redfield put it away with second-half goals.

WINDHAM 1, MARSHWOOD 0: The sixth-seeded Eagles (12-4) put all five of their penalty kicks on target and scored on four of them to defeat the third-seeded Hawks (12-3) after 110 minutes of scoreless soccer in Class A South quarterfinal in South Berwick.

It was Windham’s 10th straight win and sets up a regional semifinal at No. 2 Deering.

Tyler Johnsen scored the deciding goal as the final shooter in the five-person penalty kick session, with Marshwood, the defending state champion, having converted three of its five tries. In the preliminary round, Johnsen scored in overtime to beat Thornton Academy.

“It’s been crazy. We’ve all just been keeping our heads high and doing what we do best,” Johnsen said. “Just fighting out through games and working together as a team.”

Ben LaWind, Connor LeClerc and Luke Cunniffe also scored for Windham, while Owen Dakin’s shot was saved by Marshwood keeper Andrew Perry.

Windham controlled large portions of the game with its ground-oriented passing game but also needed some big saves by keeper Lukas Hammond, particularly in the first half.

Marshwood’s attack was limited when striker Wyatt Yager and then key forward Rowan Carter went out with leg injuries. Neither was available for the penalty kick session.

CAPE ELIZABETH 4, GREELY 1: Sebastian Moon scored twice as the top-seeded Capers (14-0-1) defeated the eighth-seed Rangers (8-7-1) in a Class B South quarterfinal in Cape Elizabeth.

Story continues

Eddie Caldera and Sam Cochran each chipped in with a goal for Cape, which broke away from a 1-1 halftime tie.

Ethan Njitoh scored Greely’s goal.

WAYNFLETE 9, OAK HILL 0: Myles Culley collected five more goals as the top-seeded Flyers (13-1-1) advanced to the Class C South semifinal with a win over the No. 8 Raiders (10-6) in Portland.

Waynflete didn’t break through until midway through the first half, when Roan Hopkins connected with a long shot. Culley then scored three straight goals, including a penalty kick, to make it 4-0 at halftime.

Culley added two more in the second half, raising his season total to 40. Hopkins got his second of the game and Bryan Stark-Chessa and Reed Robinson also scored for the three-time defending state champions.

Waynflete had a 31-2 edge in shots. Waynflete’s Nico Kirby stopped both shots he faced, while Cade Fessenden of Oak Hill made 12 saves.


GORHAM 3, SCARBOROUGH 0: Third-seeded Gorham (14-2) outlasted No. 2 Scarborough (13-3) in a marathon first set, then went finished off a 31-29, 25-18, 25-22 victory in a Class A semifinal at Scarborough.

The Rams survived multiple set points to win the first set. After taking the second set with relative ease, Gorham was down 5-0 in the third set and trailed 22-19 before winning the final six points, closing out the match on a kill from Summer Gammon.

Gorham will face top-ranked Biddeford (16-0) at 6 p.m. Friday at the University of Southern Maine in Gorham.


SKOWHEGAN 6, CAMDEN HILLS 0: Layla Conway notched a hat trick and the top-seeded River Hawks (15-0) scored five second-half goals to pull away from the eighth-seeded Windjammers (6-8-1) in a Class A North quarterfinal in Skowhegan.

Sydalia Savage added two goals for Skowhegan, which will host No. 4 Mt. Ararat in the semifinals on Saturday. Laney LeBlanc git the other goal.


Recommended For You

About the Author: Thony

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *