Premier League player accused of rape has bail extended
A Premier League player arrested on suspicion of rape a year ago could start the new season with his fate undecided after Scotland Yard extended his bail.
Telegraph Sport disclosed on July 4 last year how the international name had been arrested in North London after a complaint was made about him. Additional allegations of rape were made by a second woman in the ensuing days, although one of two later allegations has been dropped.
After several bail extensions since, the player, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had been expected to appear at a station early this month.
However, Telegraph Sport understands the Met Police has now told the suspect his bail date has been moved again until next month. The Premier League season begins on August 11.
The club has been repeatedly contacted by Telegraph Sport and is aware the player is being questioned but he continued to play for the entirety of last season following his arrest on July 2 2022.
MPs and campaigners have expressed concern around whether the internationally renowned player should have been allowed to continue playing matches.
“On 4 July, an allegation of rape of a woman in her 20s was reported to police,” the Met Police said in a previous statement statement.
“It was reported the alleged rape happened in June 2022. On 4 July, a 29-year-old man was arrested at an address in Barnet on suspicion of rape and taken into custody. While in custody, he was further arrested on suspicion of two incidents of rape that were alleged to have been committed in April and June of 2021 against a different woman in her 20s.
“No further action will be taken in relation to the offence in June 2021 but the investigation into the remaining offences is ongoing.”
Broaden your horizons with award-winning British journalism. Try The Telegraph free for 1 month, then enjoy 1 year for just $9 with our US-exclusive offer.